That's the question I am facing, or was, until I saw my psych today and shared my journalling with her. So I thought I'd write it here as well
I am stuck facing the question of whether or not to go to work on Monday.
Physically I am OK and there is no reason not to, but emotionally I don't think I am ready. But then, if I went to work I would just suck it up and get on with it and I know I would be fine. I went back after 2 weeks last year and I was OK. Maybe I need to get back into routine to help me feel better.
But I am still feeling very teary. I cry myself to sleep some nights or wake up with tears on my cheeks in the night. I feel like I should be over the miscarriage by now. It wasn't a real baby, just an embryo that failed to develop. I've cried and been sad. It should be enough. I should be done and over it now.
Perhaps by staying home another week I am just wallowing and being self-indulgent. DH thinks I should go back. He's had it in his head that I set myself a time limit of 2 weeks and then I'd get on with things.
But I also had plans. My plan was that in my second week off I would take DD for long walks or bike rides to kick start exercising. And that I would change my horrendously bad diet. That I would take time to spring clean the laundry and my craft room. Basically do a thorough overhaul of my lifestyle, spring clean to start afresh. But the trip to Tamworth and the weather have prevented that. I don't feel I can make the changes if I am back at work. I need to make those changes, especially the lifestyle ones, because what I am doing now is so unhealthy. It is an expression of my hurt and anger and self-loathing at this body that has failed me over and over. I want to change, I need to change, but just getting stuck back into normal routine won't allow me to make those changes. I need to start making healthy choices.
I feel like people will think I am a failure or a malingerer if I don't go back to work. I don't want to be judged for the decisions I make.
Telling my psych all of this this morning, she validated my feelings. She also suggested that if someone were to take holidays, it really takes about 3 weeks to unwind, relax and all of that and she pointed out that I wasn't on holidays, I was grieving a planned child, a baby who had become part of my hopes, dreams and life and that there is no time limit to grief. If people need 3 weeks rec leave, surely there is nothing wrong with 3 weeks off after a miscarriage. Her words helped and I realised that I feel stressed if I think of going back to work on Monday but relax a bit if I think of having an extra week off.
So that is what I am doing.
2 comments:
good choice. The more I hear about this psych the more I like her. Congratulations for being brave and sharing your blog posts with her. I am so proud of you.
Hope you get some sleep tonight. I am smiling for you
First of all Therese, who cares what people think, you have to do what is right for you. If you think you'll feel better able to cope after another week off work then that's what you need to do but please don't worry about what "other people" will think.
Post a Comment